I worked at a southern BBQ restaurant when I was out of high school and every year we celebrated Mardi Gras. It was THE best time to eat there and I LOVED the special menu. Umm, hello fried pickles! Since those days of long ago I have always celebrated the holiday even though we are in southern California. We usually go to a Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen in the Downtown Disney District but since the beginning of this year has been way too crazy for this tribe I think I am gonna have to try to bring New Orleans to my own kitchen. And to do that I may need a drink. And that drink may as well be the Hurricane.
I must say that the way I made this celebratory drink was not too shabby! I’ll just go ahead and toot my own horn! The verdict is still out on the juice to rum ratio but I liked it and it was very quick to make. Freddie and I recently tried Captain Morgan’s White Rum and loved it so I used a little of that and a little original!
- 2oz. light rum (I used Captain Morgan White Rum)
- 3oz. dark rum (Captain Morgan)
- 6oz. passion fruit juice
- 6oz. pineapple orange juice
- 2 tbsp. grenadine
- orange slice
- maraschino cherries
- In a large liquid measuring cup, mix the first five ingredients.
- Pour over ice-filled glass
- Garnish each glass with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry. (and maybe a fancy paper straw!)
I think the next time I make these i may try adding the grenadine after for a swirly effect but they did taste as good as they looked!