Oh well hello 2015! You came rather fast! I have come to the conclusion that I am a horrible blogger and that I should put a stop to this non sense immediately…but I can’t! I have so much to catch up on such as our wedding, our big news, but most importantly I need to share this recipe!
I have a secret love affair with Creme Brulee. It is the best thing in the world. It fills my heart with joy when I see in on the dessert menu at restaurants and I can’t even bring myself to make it myself for the fear I may ruin it. I will try to make it. Someday. I even have a kitchen torch just waiting in my cupboard patiently for that very day! When I stumbled upon this recipe on Instagram, my mouth began to water and I knew that I had to give it a try. And I am so glad I did! It is the PERFECT holiday pie and is actually incredibly easy to make. You will want to eat this every day of your life. I promise!
- 9 inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups egg nog (alcohol free) I used a cinnamon vanilla egg nog
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (vanilla bean paste is amazing!)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium sized heavy saucepan, whisk together cornstarch and sugar. Whisk in the 4 Tablespoons melted butter, egg nog, and whipping cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is the consistency of a thick pudding. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Preheat oven broiler to high. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into pie crust and spread evenly. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top. Place under the broiler until butter and sugar begins to bubble all over the surface–keep a close eye because it doesn’t take long. Seriously!
- Let pie cool to room temperature, then chill several hours before serving.
This pie is very delicious and very rich! I hope that you like it as much as we did!
The original recipe is from one of my favorite blogs: www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com She is amazing and has so many yummy treats and ideas!
follow me on Instagram! @heathertartaglia
Please travel with me down this new path of food photography. I will get better…I hope!