I love recipes with the word ‘easy’ in them. I also love recipes with the word ‘orange’ in them! So when I stumbled upon this gem, Easy Orange Cake, in Better Homes and Gardens One-Pan Recipes, I knew it was a go.
Most times when I make a citrus cake that has juice in the recipe i can only taste a faint bit of it. This cake, however, is as orange flavored as it gets. No lie! Perfect for after a summer bar-b-que or for breakfast! i love cake for breakfast. No judgment here!
I frosted my Easy Orange Cake with Butter Frosting and sprinkled fresh orange zest, but another option would be a dusting of powdered sugar! So good!
EASY ORANGE CAKE
- 2 oranges
- 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 recipe Butter Frosting or powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan. Line bottom with waxed paper or parchment paper. Grease and lightly flour pan.
- Remove 2 tsp. zest and squeeze 1/2 cup juice from oranges. In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add orange zest and juice, milk, butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer on low until combined. Beat on medium for 1 minute. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool on wire rack. If desired spread with Butter Frosting or dust with powdered sugar. Makes 8 servings.
- In a medium bowl beat 1/4 cup softened butter with a mixer on medium until smooth. Gradually add 3/4 cup powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in 2 Tbsp. milk and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Gradually beat in 2 1/2 cups additional powdered sugar. Beat in enough additional milk to reach spreading consistency.
- PER SERVING 319 cal., 7g fat (4g sat. fat), 42mg chol.,144mg sodium, 62g carb., 1g fiber, 4g pro.